The three story Elk's Arch was built in 1908 for the National Convention for the Fraternal Order of the Elks held in Dallas. So in 1910 when someone yelled "Take him to the arch" the mob knew to drug Allen Brooks' limp body to the intersection of Main and Akard. There, Mr. Brooks was stripped naked and hung from a light post where his body was inflected with more brutalities. The event was capture by photographers who later sold the images as souvenir lynching postcards. No one was arrested or convicted for the lynching and murder of Allen Brooks. The Elk's Arch was moved to the State Fair grounds in 1911. By the 1936 Texas Centennial Exposition the Arch was gone.
Copyright 2012, Brad Ford Smith.