Located in East Dallas not far from White Rock Lake, Little Egypt was a 35 acre freedmen’s town founded by freed slaves, Jeff and Hanna Hill in 1865. By 1960 the estimated population was 23 families consisting of about 200 people. Despite the development of the surrounding neighborhoods, Little Egypt enjoyed few amenities. With dirt streets most of the homes did not have indoor plumbing or gas. Some homes reportedly didn’t have electricity. In November 1961 the Shopping Center Syndicate offered to buy Little Egypt. Fearing the City of Dallas would condemn the properties, the community patriarch William Hill and Little Egypt Baptist Church Trustee, Sarah Robin encouraged residents to take the buyout. The Shopping Center Syndicate paid each landowner a minimum of $6500 plus the moving expenses for all the residences. On May 15, 1962 moving trucks showed up and everyone was moved to their new homes. The next day the bulldozers arrived.
10051 Shoreview Rd. Dallas TX.
Copyright 2012, Brad Ford Smith.