The three story Elks Arch was built in 1908 to welcome the National Convention of the Fraternal Order of the Elks. So, in 1910 when someone yelled “Take him to the Arch”, the mob knew to drag Allen Brooks’ limp body to the corner of Main and Akard. There, Mr. Brooks was stripped of his clothing and lynched to a lamp post where his body was inflicted with more brutalities. The event was captured by a photographer who later sold the images as souvenir lynching postcards. No one was arrested for the lynching and murder of Allen Brooks. The Elk’s Arch was moved to Fair Park the following year. When the 1936 Texas Centennial Exposition opened at Fair Park, the Elks Arch had been “misplaced”. Today the African American Museum of Dallas has one of the Allen Brooks lynching postcards on display.
1467 Main St. Dallas TX.
Copyright 2012, Brad Ford Smith.