Opening on June 14, 1892 as the high school for all African American kids living in the Dallas, the Colored High School No. 1 quickly became the pride of Freedman’s Town. This pride was reflected in the names of local establishments: The High School Theater, High School Café, High School Tailor Shop, High School Shine Parlor, and High School Cold Drink Stand. The school building was demolished in 1973 when the City of Dallas widened Central Expressway.
2015 N Hall St. Dallas TX.
Copyright 2012, Brad Ford Smith.