German POW Compound - Point is a plot of land with a deep history. Sited on the east shore of White Rock Lake this acreage served as a Civilian Conservation Corps camp from 1935 – 1942. The US Army used it as a training camp from 1942 – 1943. A tall fence was then constructed around the property and the barracks were converted into a German POW camp 1943 -1945. After the war, the Southern Methodist University used it briefly for student housing 1946 – 1947. In 1957 after a group of “students” blew up one of the barracks, the remaining buildings were removed or demolished. It’s now a baseball field. 950 E Lawther Dr. Dallas TX.
All Images copyrighted by the artist, Brad Ford Smith 2023